Top 15 Shepherd Center Stories of 2018
2018 brought growth and hope for Shepherd Center patients, family and staff.
Readers of Shepherd Center news, features and blogs in 2018 learned about the growth and achievements of Shepherd Center, as well as cheered with us as patients returned home to their families, students returned to school and communities rallied around their friends and families during rehabilitation. We also joined in celebrating the life and legacy of Shepherd Center co-founder Harold Shepherd.
As we say goodbye to 2018 and welcome 2019, here is a recap of our top 15 newsroom stories of the year.
1. Shepherd Center Mourns Loss of Co-Founder Harold Shepherd
Harold Shepherd passed away on December 10, 2018, leaving a legacy of generosity and kindness.
2. Pulitzer Prize-Winning Columnist Charles Krauthammer Honored at Shepherd Center
Family, friends and staff remembered the late Dr. Krauthammer, a former patient, at a memorial service.
3 . A Day in the Life of Cole Burton
Follow one young man's journey back from traumatic brain injury.
4. A President’s Doctor Becomes the Patient
Larry Mohr, M.D., former White House physician, returns to his home and work after undergoing spinal cord injury rehabilitation at Shepherd Center.
5. Shepherd Center Again Recognized as One of Atlanta's Best Places to Work
Hospital is only healthcare organization recognized in top eight.
6. U.S. News & World Report Once Again Ranks Shepherd Center Among Best in Rehabilitation
The 2018 ranking marks Shepherd Center's 10th year in the top 10.
7. Harold Shepherd Builds a Legacy
Friends and family celebrate the naming of a portion of Atlanta's most well-known road in honor of Shepherd Center's co-founder.
8. For Better or for Worse, In Sickness and in Health
Brain injury rehabilitation cements bond between former Shepherd Center patient Allan DaPore and his now wife Kaitlin DaPore.
9. Shepherd Center Purchases Property to Expand Family Housing Program
Nearby facility will also include space for clinical and administrative services.
10. Shepherd Center's Top 10 Accomplishments of 2018
Shepherd Center President and CEO, Sarah Morrison, PT, MBA, MHA, looks back on a successful 2018.
11. FDA Approves Indego® Exoskeleton for Stroke Rehabilitation and Treatment
State-of-the-art device tested at Shepherd Center allows people with paralysis due to stroke to stand and walk.
12. After Rehabilitation for a Brain Injury, Man Shows New Feats of Strength
Gilbert Ibarra of Gainesville, Georgia, learns it takes a different kind of strength to persevere following a traumatic brain injury.
13. Dream Job Turns Personal for Woman with Multiple Sclerosis
Anna Adams works to educate elected state and federal officials on legislation that affects hospitals, patients and communities.
14. Shepherd’s Men Completes Fifth Annual Run to Raise Funds, Awareness for SHARE Military Initiative
Team moves toward $1.2 Million goal for PTSD, brain injury treatment for combat veterans.
15. Hope Emerges at Shepherd Center
Shepherd Center’s Disorders of Consciousness Program aims to bring healing – and hope – for patients with low-level consciousness due to brain injury.
To learn more and stay up to date with Shepherd Center, you may sign up for our monthly e-newsletters here.
Shepherd Center provides world-class clinical care, research, and family support for people experiencing the most complex conditions, including spinal cord and brain injuries, multi-trauma, traumatic amputations, stroke, multiple sclerosis, and pain. An elite center recognized as both Spinal Cord Injury and Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems, Shepherd Center is ranked by U.S. News as one of the nation’s top hospitals for rehabilitation. Shepherd Center treats thousands of patients annually with unmatched expertise and unwavering compassion to help them begin again.