Top 13 Stories of Shepherd Center from 2013
1. Robotic Exoskeleton Helps Some People With Paraplegia Walk Again
The Indego® device is being tested at Shepherd Center. Watch this Fox News Channel feature on it.
2. Ten Things Not to Say to Someone in A Wheelchair – And Our Top Responses
We polled some of our employees at Shepherd Center who use wheelchairs to find out what comments make them cringe and how they respond.
3. Shepherd Center Ranks Among Top 10 Rehabilitation Hospitals in U.S.
See the rankings at U.S. News World & Report.
4. Shepherd Center Launches Distracted Driving Campaign
The campaign is designed for employers to download and share with their employees. Get all the tools here.
5. Emergency and Post-Acute Treatment for Spinal Cord and Brain Injury
Shepherd Center’s reference cards are available to trauma and acute care professionals who may treat emergency and post-acute patients with spinal cord or brain injury.
6. Angie's List Magazine Features Shepherd Center's Stroke Program
The magazine describes how specialized stroke care, such as the kind Shepherd Center offers, typically results in better outcomes.
7. Shepherd Center's Facebook Likes Hit 10,000 This Fall
We’re close to 14K likes now. Check out Shepherd Center’s page on Facebook.
8. CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta Features Shepherd Center's SHARE Military Initiative
Watch the CNN video on this program for military service members who sustain brain injuries in Afghanistan and Iraq.
9. Shepherd Center Releases Five iBooks as Free Downloads
In iTunes, search “Shepherd Center” for iBooks covering personal care for spinal cord injury, tips for caregivers, strategies for hiring a personal care assistant and strategies for healthy living following a stroke.
10. Canine Camaraderie Encourages Patients and Helps in Therapy
Meet animal-assisted therapy dogs Frosty and Bentley – much-loved additions to Shepherd Center’s staff.
11. Tongue-Controlled Device Acts Like A Joystick For People in Wheelchairs
In a study led by the Georgia Institute of Technology, individuals with paralysis were able to use a tongue-controlled device to navigate their wheelchairs in tests at Shepherd Center.
12. Shepherd Center Launches Its First-Ever Advertising Campaign In Metro Atlanta
The “Experts” campaign aimed to create a strong, local identity for Shepherd Center as the natural go-to choice when seeking expert rehabilitation care for catastrophic spinal cord injury or brain injury.
13. Why Good Doctors Prescribe Off-Label Treatments
Shepherd Center physician Ford Vox, M.D., publishes this commentary in Pacific Standard.
© Copyright 2013 Shepherd Center
Shepherd Center, located in Atlanta, Georgia, is a private, not-for-profit hospital specializing in medical treatment, research and rehabilitation for people with spinal cord injury, brain injury, multiple sclerosis, spine and chronic pain, and other neurological conditions. Founded in 1975, Shepherd Center is ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the top 10 rehabilitation hospitals in the nation. In its more than four decades, Shepherd Center has grown from a six-bed rehabilitation unit to a world-renowned, 152-bed hospital that treats more than 740 inpatients, nearly 280 day program patients and more than 7,100 outpatients each year in more than 46,000 visits.